Saturday, January 7, 2012

Tips for removing wallpaper?

Sorry this is kind of long. This question has probably been asked before but, I wanted to explain my situation. We live in a duplex and these places were built fast and cheap. The wallpaper started peeling at the seams not long after we moved in and we tried buying a tube of wallpaper adhesive and fixing it every now and then but, we finally gave up. I tore off what I could and tried scraping. Either the wallpaper was put right on the drywall or the paint is coming off. (to me it looks like glue) While trying to sc it with a plastic scr and several different methods - I ended up digging right into the drywall. I finally got disgusted and gave up. I have heard of liquid fabric softener and hot water, vinegar and water, steaming, a product called DIF that I guess my local Menards used to carry but, does not anymore. I thought maybe if we got all the actual paper off and sanded a little bit, we could use textured paint to kind of even it out but, someone told my fiance' that would not work. I realize it would normally be our landlord's responsibility but, we have an agreement with him. (he keeps our rent fairly low and he never charges us late fees if we don't have the rent right on the first, so if there are things like painting that needs to be done we do it ourselves ) I cannot afford to hire someone to do it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! My dining room looks awful! Thanks in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment